During their careers, most fitness professionals will encounter clients who they suspect may have an addiction to fitness, food, or other related issues. Clients may show signs of excessive exercise, extreme weight loss, overtraining, food-related problems, or substance misuse. These may be hidden, or they may become apparent during fitness training sessions. Many fitness professionals, however, are unsure of how to approach and help with such addictions.
This course is aimed to offer fitness professionals an understanding of addiction related to health and fitness. The course presents the most up-to-date knowledge to help you provide the best services to your clients: not only to those clients who have fitness and health-related addictions, but also to those who struggle with establishing a healthy image about themselves. Therefore, this course has quite a broad aim, covering the sometimes-overlapping areas of addiction to exercise and substances; food and eating disorders; muscle dysmorphia; and mental health in general.
Participants who take this course will have an understanding of:
- The nature of addictions (to substances and behaviors), eating disorders, and muscle dysmorphia
- The types and causes of addictions and food-related disorders common in fitness settings
- Key skills to best support in an informed and ethical way those clients who may have an addiction
- The basics of addiction
- Quiz 1
- The definition of exercise addiction
- Quiz 2
- Prevalence of exercise addiction
- How does exercise addiction develop?
- Risk factors for developing exercise addiction
- Measuring exercise addiction
- Exercise addiction and mental health
- Quiz 3
- Treatment of exercise addiction
- Bigorexia, muscle dysmorphia, and body dysmorphic disorder
- Quiz 4
- Food-related disorders and fitness
- How are eating disorders diagnosed?
- Substance abuse and exercise addiction
- Quiz 5
- Could exercise be a treatment for other addictions?
- How fitness professionals can help people with addictions
- Gym management’s responsibilities
- Conclusions, further reading, references
- Quiz 6
*Risk free 30-day 100% money back guarantee! Eligible for full refund only before taking the first quiz.
There are no reviews yet.